Wednesday 29 January 2014

WWW Wednesday (January 29th)

WWW Wednesday is hosted by Miz B at Should be Reading

To play along, just answer the following three questions:
1. What are you currently reading?
2. What did you recently finish reading?
3. What do you think you will read next?

1. What are you currently reading?


Splintered by A.G. Howard

This stunning debut captures the grotesque madness of a mystical under-land, as well as a girl’s pangs of first love and independence. Alyssa Gardner hears the whispers of bugs and flowers—precisely the affliction that landed her mother in a mental hospital years before. This family curse stretches back to her ancestor Alice Liddell, the real-life inspiration for Lewis Carroll’s Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland. Alyssa might be crazy, but she manages to keep it together. For now.
When her mother’s mental health takes a turn for the worse, Alyssa learns that what she thought was fiction is based in terrifying reality. The real Wonderland is a place far darker and more twisted than Lewis Carroll ever let on. There, Alyssa must pass a series of tests, including draining an ocean of Alice’s tears, waking the slumbering tea party, and subduing a vicious bandersnatch, to fix Alice’s mistakes and save her family. She must also decide whom to trust: Jeb, her gorgeous best friend and secret crush, or the sexy but suspicious Morpheus, her guide through Wonderland, who may have dark motives of his own. (Goodreads Synopsis)

I am a huge fan of re-tellings and so, of course, when I saw an Alice in Wonderland re-telling, I just had to have it. Alice in Wonderland was on of my favourite VIDEOS (no DVDs back in my day!) even though it scared the bejesus out of me. I am only around ten pages into the book so I can't tell you if I am liking it or not yet but just look at that beautiful cover *drools*...AND the one for the second book, Unhinged, is even prettier *gasp*. Oh.Ya. I will have a review of this on my blog once I have it read so you can check that out to see what I thought.

2. What did you recently finish?



Cinder by Marissa Meyer

Humans and androids crowd the raucous streets of New Beijing. A deadly plague ravages the population. From space, a ruthless lunar people watch, waiting to make their move. No one knows that Earth’s fate hinges on one girl. 

Cinder, a gifted mechanic, is a cyborg. She’s a second-class citizen with a mysterious past, reviled by her stepmother and blamed for her stepsister’s illness. But when her life becomes intertwined with the handsome Prince Kai’s, she suddenly finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle, and a forbidden attraction. Caught between duty and freedom, loyalty and betrayal, she must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect her world’s future. (Goodreads Synopsis)



I actually really enjoyed this book and gave it a four stars. I didn't completely love it but it was quite a fun read and I absolutely loved the concept behind so I pushed it from 3.5 to 4 stars. I will have a full review up of this one shortly (work is ruining my review schedule!).



Alice in Zombieland by Gena Showalter

She won’t rest until she’s sent every walking corpse back to its grave. Forever.

Had anyone told Alice Bell that her entire life would change course between one heartbeat and the next, she would have laughed. From blissful to tragic, innocent to ruined? Please. But that’s all it took. One heartbeat. A blink, a breath, a second, and everything she knew and loved was gone.

Her father was right. The monsters are real….

To avenge her family, Ali must learn to fight the undead. To survive, she must learn to trust the baddest of the bad boys, Cole Holland. But Cole has secrets of his own, and if Ali isn’t careful, those secrets might just prove to be more dangerous than the zombies….


I wish I could go back and do a thousand things differently.
I'd tell my sister no.
I'd never beg my mother to talk to my dad.
I'd zip my lips and swallow those hateful words.
Or, barring all of that, I'd hug my sister, my mom and my dad one last time.
I'd tell them I love them.
I wish... Yeah, I wish. (Goodreads Synopsis)

There seems to be a pattern again this week. I appear to be reading all re-tellings...did I mention that I love them? I want to read this one so I can do a compare and contrast post between this book and Splintered, so I can choose my favourite Alice in Wonderland re-telling. Another upcoming post, which I will hopefully have up in the near future.

If you have taken part in this weeks WWW Wednesday leave a link in the comments below and I will be sure to check it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a comment, I love to hear your thoughts!

Make sure to check back on your comments as I always reply :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Teams

The Infernal Devices by Cassandra Clare The Mortal Instruments by Cassandra Clare Delirium by Lauren Oliver The Chemical Garden by Lauren Destefano The Selection by Kiera Cass The Vampire Diaries by L.J. Smith
 

Blog Template by Rockaboo Design Studio